Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Conflux and Essentials

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Conflux and Essentials

    I only want to discuss the visual spoilers cards right now, because those are the only ones confirmed, so no rumor site cards.

    Conflux - Definite. Massively powerful.

    Exploding Borders - Creature kill AND land search. Makes later game land search not as redundant. Could replace an existing land search spell.

    Martial Coup - Frankly, it could replace any Wrath in the deck as it is better. Could replace a removal spell or a Wrath/Damnation type card, but there should definitely be a place for this card somewhere.

    Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker - Duh.

    Meglonoth - It's very big and very useful. Could replace one of the 4/4s for 4 mana, or replace another critter. Not sure though.

    Magister Sphinx - Could replace one of the bigger flyers if life gain gets out of hand at hte table. Answer to Invincible Hymn (which I pulled out of my deck,. but others play).

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Exploding Borders only hits players.

    Other than that, the rest are pretty much the goods. There's a swords variant that hasn't been officially revealed yet that is pretty amazing. I don't see much else in either the rumors or the officials. But, there's still a lot of cards to go. 47 via rumors and a shit-ton via official channels.
    *mooooooooo*

  3. #3
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Yup, misread Borders. Pull it out of discussion obviously. Otherwise, it was way in.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Oh, and here are the ones going into my deck not mentioned above: Banefire, Maelstrom Archangel if I get one (mythic), Apocalypse Hydra, Giltspire Avenger, and Fiery Fall. I assume there must be more domain cards and basic land cycling cards in the set, and both mechanics are highly favored by me.

    Basic land cycling basically makes Green redundant as a land search color.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    That card would've been bad ass had it hit creatures too. Alas.

    I don't think I've seen an actually good basic land cycler yet. However.... there is a nice bird variant that was spoiled in a magazine. It isn't listed on the wizards spoiler page though.
    *mooooooooo*

  6. #6
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Quote Originally Posted by kerbythepurplecow View Post
    That card would've been bad ass had it hit creatures too. Alas.

    I don't think I've seen an actually good basic land cycler yet. However.... there is a nice bird variant that was spoiled in a magazine. It isn't listed on the wizards spoiler page though.
    It's up today, and yes, I'll play it. Exalted puts it over the top.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member md22mdrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2007
    Posts
    108
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Essentials possible ... (at least MY essentials! lol)


    Martial Coup- my fav so far. Going into all my 250's!

    Path to Exile- Another Swords? Why not! I like Swords ...

    Worldheart Phoenix- Recurring 4/4 flyer lategame? I like it, but there's no place for it.

    Shard Convergence- Hmmm ... Can we say "My mana base has just been fixed .. Period"

    Thornling- Not bad, but what to take out? Probably Thornling.

    Apocalypse Hydra- Uhm ... Late game pwn-age

    Conflux- Broken #1. Let's see. Let's cast this spell and win next turn.

    Knight of the Reliquary- Uhm. Broken #2. Let's fetch broken lands every turn. Thanks.

    Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker- Put him in. Quit your bitchin'!

    Sphinx Summoner- A tutor effect. Dunno if he fits anywhere though. Maybe 2nd tier more likely.

    Obelisk of Alara- Useful toolbox.

    Exotic Orchard- Mana fixing is ALWAYS a priority.

    Reliquary Tower- Maybe as a one-of? Hard to kill as a land. Maybe.


    Other 250 possible ...

    Wall of Reverence- I can see the lifers using this way too much. Ug. Noob's delight. I can't WAIT to see this in EVERY Noob's deck. WHY, Wizards?!? WHY?!?!?

    Ethersworn Adjudicator- Do you want to break boards in the multiplayer table? Requires a LOT of mana, but you'll SEE that much mana at the multiplayer table ...

    Inkwell Leviathan- Big cost, but a better animation target.

    Bloodhall Ooze - It'll be fun to play around with, but it will probably not stay around any of my decks.

    Volcanic Fallout- Going into my Chaos 250 probably. 2 red kinda sketchy tho.

    Voracious Dragon- Not going anywhere, but where was this guy when I built my Devouring Gobos for FNM!?!?

    Cliffrunner Behemoth- Undercosted. Most likely at LEAST get 5 life and a creature kill out of it.

    Matca Rioters- A potenial 5/5 vanilla for 3 mana. Not QUITE Goyf ... but an ok attempt.

    Blood Tyrant- GREAT in multiplayer. Good animation target. Build a deck aroung him. Get him out turn 2 or 3. Next turn he's a 13/13 trampling flyer (assuming 8 players). Next turn he's a 20/20. Next he's a 32/32, etc.

    Child of Alara- A 6/6 trampler that players usually do NOT want to kill. At worst an Akroma's Vengence that hits planeswalkers.

    Fusion Elemental- Eh. 8/8 vanilla for 5. Undercosted, but will he ever be any use? Probably not.

    Maelstrom Archangel- Pretty good. Kinda Intet-ish.

    Magister Sphinx- A one of to combat lifer cards. I'm talking to you INVINCIBLE HYMN!

    Meglonoth - Beatstick with vigilance. If you attack into him, he punches your face again?
    Genius! Lol

    Progenitus- Interesting, but I don't think I'll ever see him hit play ... EVER.

    Font of Mythos- Howling mine, but better!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member anonymos's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    98
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    So now that the official list is up, I went digging before the prereleases started. Here's the list of things I'm going to trade for. I've decided I'm too broke right now to buy stuff. Note that I try things in my deck and tend to remove them rather quickly if I don't like them.

    Armillary Sphere (prolly gonna go away)
    Banefire
    Celestial Purge (more for wish than anything)
    Charnelhoard Wurm
    Child of Alara
    Conflux
    Countersquall
    Ethersworn Adjudicator
    Exotic Orchard
    Filigree Fracture
    Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
    Infectious Horror
    Inkwell Leviathan (my vote for superfatty of the set)
    Knight of the Reliquary
    Knotvine Mystic ?
    Maelstrom Archangel
    Meglonoth
    Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
    Noble Hierarch
    Path to Exile (x5 so I have a playset to use elsewhere)
    Rupture Spire
    Shard Convergence
    Telemin Performance (I have a feeling this will be underwhelming)
    Thornling (yay for Morphling)
    Volcanic Fallout
    Wall of Reverence (probably won't stay around long)
    Yoke of the Damned

  9. #9
    Inactive Member TheAbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2007
    Posts
    826
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    My posting working now?

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    1,151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Conflux and Essentials

    Your posting has appeared. I suppose it's time to finally figure out the goods. Not that I'm particularly keen to discuss which expensive cards need inclusion. That knight there is $10+. Nicol is $20+. I dislike Mythic Rarity.
    *mooooooooo*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •